The Pangalactic Federation (銀河連邦, Ginga Renpō?), also called the Earth Federation (地球連邦, Chikyū Renpō?), is an organization of a large body of planets in the Star Ocean universe formed in 12 SD. They are determined to keep order in the universe, mostly through their large space fleet.
Originally called the Terran Alliance, a name derived from the planet which serves as the center of its establishment, they have expanded greatly since its founding, but not every race is too friendly towards the Federation.
The Federation has a standing army, to which several main characters throughout the games belong.
- Pangalactic Federation (Till the End of Time)
- Established by the third planet of the Sol System in 12 SD, the Pangalactic Federation was the first multi-planetary alliance-based government. Originally known as the Terran Alliance when it was founded, as it grew, its named was changed to the Pangalactic Federation. Currently, several hundred races of sentient life forms belong to this government.
- Terran Alliance (The Last Hope)
- The first multi-planetary alliance government, established by the third planet of the Sol System in 12 SD. This government currently goes by the name "Pangalactic Federation," but its activities and principles have changed little since the time of the Terran Alliance. At some time in the past, it was also known as the Earth Federation.
- Pangalactic Federation (Integrity and Faithlessness)
- Originally formed in spacedate 10 as the Terran Alliance, this organization continued to grow in scale until its jurisdiction covered much of the Milky Way. As its name was no longer indicative of its constituency, the administration eventually dubbed it the more appropriate Pangalactic Federation.
- According to contemporary survey data, the federation consists of at least five sectors: Alpha, Beta, Eta, Theta, and Iota, with Theta Sector its designated geopolitical center. The organization's current known diameter is estimated to be anywhere from 4,000 to 6,000 light years, which would take approximately two years to cross.